Steak & Kidney Pie
365 calories, 1.3% fat
200g (7.05oz) lean rump or sirloin steak, cut into cubes
200g (7.05oz) kidney, cut into bite-size pieces
2 medium onions, chopped
125ml red wine
2 beef stock cubes
1 tablespoon gravy powder
900g (2lb) potatoes, peeled
2 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt
4-5 tablespoons skimmed milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
300ml (½ pint) water
• Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas mark 4
• Trim the steak removing all the fat, then cut the steak into cubes
• Dry-fry the cubes of beef steak and kidneys in a preheated non-stick pan until well browned
• Add the onions to the pan and dry-fry until soft.
• Pour in the water and wine, add the stock cubes and bring to the boil.
• Mix the gravy powder with a little cold water and add to the boiling stock in the pan, stirring continuously.
• The gravy should be quite thick, so add more gravy powder if necessary.
• Transfer the mixture to a pie dish
• Boil the potatoes until cooked and then drain.
• Mash the potatoes with the yoghurt and sufficient skimmed milk to make the consistency quite soft. Season to taste.
• Carefully spoon the ‘creamed’ potato on top of the meat and gravy, covering it completely, then spread it carefully with a fork.
• Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until crisp and brown on top